- Hope in Front of Me: Danny Gokey
- You Are Faithful: Carrollton
- Overwhelmed: Big Daddy Weave
- What a Beautiful Name: Hillsong Worship
- Who You Say I Am: Hillsong Worship
- Scars: I Am They
- My Story: Big Daddy Weave
- Ain’t No Grave: Molly Skaggs
- Doxology: Phil Wickham
- joy: for King & Country
- You Say: Lauren Daigle
- Known: Tauren Wells
- Nobody Loves Me Like You: Chris Tomlin
- Miracles: Jesus Culture
- Symphony: Switch
Working Out/ Fun
- High Hopes: Panic! At the Disco
- Timebomb: Walk the Moon
- Can’t Stop the Feeling: Justin Timberlake
- Walking on Sunshine: Katrina & The Waves
- Respect: Aretha Franklin
- Titanium: David Guetta ft. Sia
- Take On Me: A-ha
- Alive and Kicking: Simple Minds
- Fighter: Christina Aguilera
- Stronger: Kelly Clarkson
- Great Night: Need to Breathe
- HandClap: Fitz & The Tantrums
- Ooh Ahh (My Life Be Like): Grits ft. TobyMac
- Freeway of Love: Aretha Franklin
- I’m Still Standing: Elton John
When you need a moment but don’t have one:
- Breathe. This may seem very simple, but it’s very serious. When your emotions are swirling and you are feeling overwhelmed, don’t overestimate the power and importance of taking a deep breath and slowly exhaling… 10 times in a row.
- Bathroom Break. I’m not kidding. When I was at work and needed to have a moment to collect my emotions, I would walk to the bathroom, shut the stall door and just lean against the wall for a few minutes. It helps.
- Baby Steps. I didn’t get through this one day at a time, I got through it one moment at a time. There were many times when I had to remind myself of that, just take it moment by moment and you will get through the day. Tell yourself you WILL get through this because you really will.
When you need a massage but can’t afford one:
- If you can purchase some bath salts or lavender oil, have them on hand. I know that taking a bath takes time, but it’s a great way to relax if you can take even 15 minutes and soak in something fragrant and calming.
- Play music that is upbeat and uplifting. I play a lot of praise worship in my home and find that the most peaceful. However, there are times, like when I work out, that I listen to secular music and that can energize me as well. Whatever energizes you, listen to it. Whatever reminds you of painful memories, turn it off.
- Find a TV show that makes you laugh. Laughter is food for the soul. Even if you have it on while you are doing something else, it can be uplifting.
- Go to bed early and lay on a heating pad if your muscles are really tense.
I like to read and I read books of all types. Here are a few that have really impacted me.
- Christian Books:
- The Bible!
- The Armor of God: Priscilla Shirer
- Heaven: Randy Alcorn
- A House That Grace Built: Stephanie Tucker
- Positive Thinking/ Non-Fiction:
- The Hidden Messages in Water: Masaru Emoto
- Daring Greatly: Brene Brown
- Never Go Back: Dr. Henry Cloud
- Option B: Sheryl Sandberg
Welcome to my new podcast, Fighting for Joy. Life in this broken world is hard, but there IS joy and hope to be found. Visit our Facebook page for our latest podcast
Pray. It changes things, even when you don’t see it. That’s a fact. Contact local churches for prayer events. A lot of cities have ministries and churches that host events where you can receive prayer, even if you don’t go to that church. Never pass an opportunity like that up.
Worship. Even when you are worshipping through tears, still worship. God inhabits the praises of his people, which means the devil has to flee. Put praise music on quietly in the background, if you have to do other things. It’s calming and lifts the atmosphere. Pandora and Spotify are great options for music.